SIGMOIDECTOMY PROCEDURE MODULE
The full procedure module provides an environment in which to perform a wide range of tasks before encountering them in the operating room, from vessel isolation through creation of the anastomosis.
Trainees learn to determine the best approach to the procedure, practicing real-time clinical decision-making and working safely to prevent complications and respond to injuries: injury to the ureter and gonadal vessels, risk of injury to the colon or rectal wall, major and minor vascular injuries and controlling bleeding from tissue or vessels throughout the procedure.
- To perform the peritoneal incision, while elevating the inferior mesenteric pedicle
- To identify the left ureter
- To perform dissection in correct tissue planes
- To expose and divide the inferior mesenteric artery, inferior mesenteric vein, and left colic artery
- To mobilize the sigmoid colon and perform rectal wall exposure
- To perform a safe distal division of the sigmoid colon
- To work with a circular stapler to perform laparoscopic end-to-end anastomosis
- To learn to appreciate and avoid potential complications
A Complete Educational Solution
The module includes electro-surgical instruments, the Harmonic Scalpel, atraumatic bowel graspers, linear staplers and Echelon and a circular stapler. An anatomical 3D map, on-demand real-life videos, procedural instructions and trocar placements complete this exceptional training module.
Performance metrics are collected during the session in order to assess skill level and training success. Metrics include time and efficiency of motion, safety and electrosurgical dissection, complications and injuries. Information regarding the performance of colonic mobilization, distal division and anastomosis is also provided.