The Thoracentesis Module incorporates hands-on tasks and clinical cases promoting procedural understanding, skill acquisition and manual dexterity of complete ultrasound-guided thoracentesis, including ultrasound evaluation of the pleural effusion, rib palpation, needle insertion and fluid aspiration, for diagnostic as well as therapeutic purposes.
The procedural tasks offer step-by-step guidance of ultrasound-guided needle access. The clinical cases present realistic scenarios with varying sizes, locations and severities of pleural effusion. The trainee can practice cases of both upright position and supine position.
The module enables the practice and progress towards competency in a scaled manner, starting with simpler cases of large effusions before advancing to complex cases such as smaller or lobulated effusions and more. Educational aids assist in optimizing the learning curve, and objective performance assessment is presented upon completion of each task or case.
- First-to-market virtual simulation of ultrasound-guided thoracentesis
- Live tracking of both needle and ultrasound probe – view the needle and probe position on both 3D anatomical map and ultrasound image
- Real-time simulation of fluid aspiration during lung expansion
- In-plane and out-of-plane approach training
- Palpable puncture pad with layers, providing tactile feedback during puncture
- Interchangeable prone and supine position cartridges
- Scaled training from novice to expert with variation in pleural effusion size
- Diversified clinical case scenarios and anatomies such as collapsed/healthy lung, empyema, various diaphragm height, respiratory rate and more, with different optimal puncture site locations(intercostal space).
- Enhanced educational value with self-guided tasks, organ puncture warnings and visual aids such as 3D needle image.
- Enhanced performance report and safety assessment.