The aim of this course is to allow residents/fellows and medical students as well as attending physicians to acquire basic level skills in laparoscopic gynecology including hands-on simulation-based training of essential OB-GYN procedures, needed to acquire the skills and core competencies for OB-GYN PGY-2 training.
The course components include:
- Basic Laparoscopic Skills Training
- Basic Laparoscopic Skills – Demonstration of Proficiency
- Ectopic Pregnancy
Basic Skills Proficiency-Based Training
Training within a proficiency-based virtual reality curriculum may reduce errors during real surgical procedures. The basic skills training within this curriculum is based on Development of a Virtual Reality Training Curriculum for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (Darzi et al. British Journal of Surgery 2009; 96: 1086–1093). The aim of the training curriculum is for an individual to acquire skills and reach a predetermined level of proficiency before progressing to more challenging cases.
Ectopic Pregnancy & Oophorectomy
Experience a range of patient pathologies and various techniques and surgical instruments. Included are a variety of complications and emergency situations such as bleeding at the implantation site, a ruptured fallopian tube and a blood-filled abdominal cavity.
- Practice and acquire competence in the following basic laparoscopic skills: Two-handed maneuvers; Cutting; and Electrocautery.
- Practice fundamental GYN procedures: Salpingostomy, salpingectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy.
- Encounter a range of patient pathologies.
- Gain experience with various techniques and surgical instruments.
- Learn to avoid and control complications and emergency situations such as bleeding at the implantation site, a ruptured fallopian tube and a blood-filled abdominal cavity.
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Prerequisite: Completed basic laparoscopic skills training.
It is recommended to include a cognitive skills module at the beginning of the training program.
Suggested Time Length
The Laparoscopic Basic Skills and Essential Gynecology Modules were created in collaboration with:
- Amir Szold, MD, Medical Director, Assia Medical Group, Assuta Hospital, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Eric Jelovsek, M.D. , Assistant Professor of Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University.
- Jonathon Solnik, MD, Director, Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery, Assistant Residency Program Director, Dept OB/Gyn, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Assistant Clinical Professor, Dept OB/Gyn, The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
- Jeffrey L. Ponsky, M.D., Oliver H. Payne Professor and Chairman, Department of Surgery, CWRU School of Medicine, Surgeon in Chief, University Hospitals, Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- Prof. Goldenberg Mordechai, Roy Mashiach, MD, Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery, Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer.