The aim of this course is to allow residents/fellows and medical students as well as attending physicians to acquire basic level skills in laparoscopic gynecology including hands-on simulation-based training of essential OB/GYN procedures, needed to acquire the skills and core competencies for OB/GYN PGY-1 training.
The course components include:
- Basic Laparoscopic Skills Training
- Basic Laparoscopic Skills – Demonstration of Proficiency
- Tubal Ligation
Basic Skills Proficiency-Based Training
Training within a proficiency-based virtual reality curriculum may reduce errors during real surgical procedures. The basic skills training within this curriculum is based on Development of a Virtual Reality Training Curriculum for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (Darzi et al. British Journal of Surgery 2009; 96: 1086–1093). The aim of the training curriculum is for an individual to acquire skills and reach a predetermined level of proficiency before progressing to more challenging cases.
Laparoscopic Tubal Ligation Procedure Training
Experience Laparoscopic tubal sterilization procedure in a simulated patient case.
- Practice and acquire competence in the following basic laparoscopic skills: Camera manipulation 0°; Eye-hand coordination; Clipping and grasping and Two-handed maneuvers.
- Practice Laparoscopic tubal sterilization.
- Gain experience with various techniques and surgical instruments.
Obstetrics and Gynecology
It is recommended to include a cognitive skills module at the beginning of the training program. No previous procedural or technical knowledge is required.
Suggested Time Length
The Laparoscopic Basic Skills and Essential Gynecology Modules were created in collaboration with:
- Amir Szold, MD, Medical Director, Assia Medical Group, Assuta Hospital, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Eric Jelovsek, M.D. , Assistant Professor of Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University.
- Jonathon Solnik, MD, Director, Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery, Assistant Residency Program Director, Dept OB/Gyn, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Assistant Clinical Professor, Dept OB/Gyn, The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
- Jeffrey L. Ponsky, M.D., Oliver H. Payne Professor and Chairman, Department of Surgery, CWRU School of Medicine, Surgeon in Chief, University Hospitals, Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio
- Prof. Goldenberg Mordechai, Roy Mashiach, MD, Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery, Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer.