Simbionix Simulation-Based Training for da Vinci® Surgery
Providing the Highest Level of Surgical Training
Simbionix has partnered with Intuitive Surgical® to develop the Simbionix Suturing Module for virtual reality simulation of suturing on the Skills Simulator™ for the da Vinci®Si™ System.
Use of the da Vinci Surgical System continues to comprise a growing part of surgery. The Simbionix Suturing Module for the da Vinci Skills Simulator is a continuation of our efforts to provide highly realistic and effective tools designed for cost-effective integration in surgical curricula across multiple disciplines and technologies.
The da Vinci Suturing Module – A Comprehensive Educational Solution
The da Vinci Surgical System combines a 3D view of the surgical field with Intuitive® instrument control and EndoWrist® instruments designed to duplicate the motions of the human hand — all of which can be advantageous to a surgeon as he or she sutures. The Simbionix Suturing Module for the da Vinci Skills Simulator is designed for use on the actual da Vinci console, enabling the learner to acquire confidence with using the system.
The module provides a comprehensive educational package including:
- Knot-tying tutorials
- Highly realistic suturing tasks applicable to performing complex surgical procedures such as following challenging lines and angles followed by knot tying
- Optional interactive guidance for independent learning and skills mastery
- Objective performance feedback designed to facilitate performance de-briefing, benchmark learner performance and facilitate assessment and certification
The module includes the following segments:
- Guided knot-tying tutorial with two vertical defects
- Guided knot-tying tutorial with two horizontal defects
- Continuous suture exercise
- Interrupted suture exercise
- “Free-play” knot-tying exercise featuring vertical, horizontal and diagonal defects
We at Simbionix welcome the input of the medical community, and appreciate your feedback. Please email Maya Bloch, Product Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org