HYSTERECTOMY PROCEDURE MODULE
Provides an opportunity for repetitive practice of surgical skills required for the Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy procedure, in a safe and reproducible environment.
The module enables training in the key components of the procedure:
- Uterine manipulation
- Superior pedicle division
- Bladder mobilization
- Exposure and division of the uterine artery
The course of the ureters may be visualized transperitoneally, or through a retroperitoneal dissection. Both salpingo-oophorectomy and preservation of the adnexa may be performed.
Errors & Complications
Included in this module are a variety of complications and emergency situations such as ureteral injuries, injury to the bladder, uterine artery and superior pedicles bleeding that may occur during key steps of the procedure.
The simulation provides the surgeon with flexibility to determine the extent of mobilization of the bladder, identification of the course of the ureters, and recognition of the cervico-vaginal margin during colpotomy. All key decision points of the actual procedure are incorporated into a realistic surgical environment.
Complete Educational Solution
This is a complete educational solution, including videos of the real procedure, step-by-step procedural guidance, anatomical 3D map and comprehensive objective performance metrics. Optional interactive visual indicators and on-screen messages guide the trainee through all procedure steps.
- To perform a thorough inspection of the abdomen and identify the course of the left and right ureters in the retroperitoneum.
- In case of salpingo-oophorectomy – to safely coagulate and divide the round ligaments and infundibulopelvic ligaments bilaterally, manipulating the uterus and adnexa for proper visualization.
- In case of preservation of the fallopian tubes and ovaries – to safely coagulate and divide the round ligaments and tubo-ovarian pedicles bilaterally while manipulating the uterus for proper visualization.
- To perform adequate bladder mobilization, maintaining the correct dissection plane within the vesico-uterine peritoneal fold, reflecting the bladder to safely expose the anterior pubocervical fascia and upper vagina.
- To create a safe distance between the ureters and the uterine vessels, by appropriate uterine manipulation.
- To perform bilateral exposure and safe division of the uterine vessels.
- To identify and circumferentially incise the cervico-vaginal margin.
- To perform an inspection of the operating field for adequate hemostasis.