APPENDECTOMY PROCEDURE MODULE
The most comprehensive, structured curriculum and hands-on training for laparoscopic appendectomy.
Not only is the Appendectomy Module on the LAP Mentor the most sophisticated training resource for this procedure, there is such a life-like realism to the graphics that the visuals could easily be mistaken for those taken in live surgery.
This realistic simulation includes details such as tissue behavior and dissection, true-to life visualization, realistic bleeding and inflammation. All of these capabilities are provided in an enjoyable and worry-free training environment.
Basic cases include colorful interactive guidance that facilitates the learning process.
The module includes:
- Two guided basic appendectomy procedural tasks
- Three guided procedures that introduce different techniques
- Four free-hand, complete procedure cases
- Basic procedural tasks focus on acquisition of the basic skills that are essential for the appendectomy procedure.
- Interactively-guided, procedural techniques allow learners to experience different approaches to the procedure and appropriate use of surgical instruments such as stapler, ligating loop and energy devices.
- Free-hand, complete procedure cases include anatomical variations, such as a regular, retrocecal and preileal appendix, as well as different levels of inflammation such as a moderately inflamed, gangrenous and perforated appendix.
The module enables training in the key components of the procedure:
- Inspection of the abdominal cavity
- Aspiration of the purulent collections
- Exposure of the appendix
- Control of the appendicular artery
- Division of the mesoappendix and appendix
- Specimen retrieval
- Inspection of the operating site for adequate hemostasis
Simulation of emergency situations such as injury to the appendicular artery, cecum, terminal ileum, iliac vessels, ureter and perforation of the appendix are included so that learners are ready for any complication. Clinical decisions such as extent of cecum mobilization in retrocecal case and extent of appendicular artery exposure can be made in real-time.
Complete Educational Solution
Educational features include an anatomical 3D map, real-life videos, interactive visual indicators, step-by-step procedural guidance and detailed performance reports to enrich and enhance the learning experience.
- To acquire basic skills essential for laparoscopic appendectomy while practicing the basic procedural laparoscopic appendectomy tasks.
- To gain experience with various techniques and surgical instruments such as energy devices, stapler and ligating loop in guided techniques.
- To practice the key components of laparoscopic appendectomy in free hand, complete, appendectomy procedure cases.
- To encounter a range of anatomical variations of the appendix with different levels of inflammation.
- To learn to avoid and manage bleeding and potential complications such as perforation of the appendix and injury to the appendicular artery, cecum, terminal ileum, and ureter.