The simulator curriculum plays an important role in the success of skill centers and in resident learning. A number of publications have demonstrated the importance of structured VR training curriculum and suggest that training within a proficiency-based virtual reality curriculum may reduce errors during real surgical procedures.
Simbionix is very proud to work in collaboration with key leaders in medical education and surgery to provide our worldwide customers with well thought out curricula. Within these, the simulator serves as a tool for delivering a learning experience. The curricula are intended to enhance learner motivation for an enjoyable, effective and efficient way of acquiring new skills using simulators. The following LAP Mentor™ curricula are suitable for all surgical specialties involving laparoscopic procedures, with a special focus on general surgery, bariatric surgery, gynecology and patient safety for OR nurses:
- General Surgery Training Curricula
- Imperial College Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Training Curriculum
- Laparoscopic Training Center – Basic Course
- Laparoscopic Surgical Skills (LSS) Curriculum – Grade 1 Level 1
- SORTED (Surgery for Obesity – Registrar Training and Educational Development) Bariatric Course
- Basic Laparoscopic Gynecology Skills and Procedures Course
- Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Training Course for the Simbionix LAP Mentor
- Patient Safety Course for OR Nurses
- Simbionix Suggested Implementation of the ACS/APDS Surgical Skills Curriculum for Residents, Phase 2: Advanced Procedures
- OB/GYN Courses
The curricula series is provided via MentorLearn™, at no cost, to both online and offline customers, however using MentorLearn Online provides the advantage of allowing learners to access the didactic materials offsite:
- Using duty hours more efficiently.
- Reading objectives, instructions, watching videos, and reviewing performances can be done elsewhere – freeing up the simulator for other residents to use.
The ready-to-use curricula are provided as a structured method of training, and can serve as a template for program directors at other institutions, who can tailor the curriculum to the individual training needs. Learn more about Simbionix curricula.